Tuesday, July 17

Tread Lightly on Earth Day 2

Which has less impact powder or liquid laundry detergent? I haven't given it much thought until this week. I've found a few different forums discussing the pros and cons of each.

100_0426

I decided to go with the powdered on this trip because of the information point I found on the ClintonFoundation.org web site. 

I also found a homemade laundry soap recipe, sounds interesting. I'll let you know if I'm able to try it.

Homemade Laundry Soap

3 pints water
1/3 bar Fels Naptha soap, grated
1/2 cup Borax
1/2 cup washing soda
1 quart hot water
cold water
Mix fels naptha soap in a saucepan with 3 pints of [w]ater. Heat on low until barely dissolved. Stir in borax and washing soda. Stir until thickened, then remove from heat. Add l quart hot water to 2 gallon bucket. Add soap mixture to bucket and mix well. Pour soap mixture into the bucket, mix well. Fill bucket with cold water and mix again. Let set for 24 hrs. If too thick or separated, stir before use. Use 1/2 cup per load of laundry.
I can make this in the US for about 75 cents a gallon. It works great. There are no sudsing fillers so your clothes won't get stiff and need fabric softeners. I use it as a pretreat on stains, too. It has saved me a lot of money. If you'd like to put this on the money saving tips forum I'd be flattered and it might be helpful to somebody on a tight budget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home