Wednesday, November 1

Baby Environmentalism

Did your high school have Channel One News? Our's did and it was big deal, we could watch TV in class, it was so cool.  I remember watching one newscast on the plastic rings that come on six packs of soda and how ducks and other wildlife were getting caught in the plastic rings.  The reporter, it was John Norris I think before he became a MTV Veejay, told us to "always cut the rings before tossing them.

Here I am, umpteen years later and I'm still cutting the rings on my six packs.  One day hubby saw me doing that and asked me what I was doing.  I told him I was protecting the ducks and that I cared about the environment.  He laughed. 

Why did he laugh?  I never watched him do anything that was halfway conscience when it came to the environment. I was really proud of my meticulous ring cutting.  Think of all those ducks whose lives I was saving.

That's when I became really "aware" of the crap I was mindlessly just tossing away.  I was embarrassed.

I'm not saying that I'm hugging any trees (come on, I'm from Texas, we have to adhere to some stereotypes) but I am making an effort. Here are some easy things I've started doing:

  1. Separating my newspapers/catalogues/flyers
  2. Taking a canvas bag to the grocery store
  3. Not individually bagging my fruit and veggies if possible
  4. Returning plastic grocery store bags when I forget the canvas one

I also printed out this handy sheet from the City of Phoenix web site, Recycle List.  Do you do anything simple you'd like to share?

5 Comments:

Blogger melati said...

I recycle all my champagne and beer and wine bottles! (It's a lot.)

2:51 PM  
Blogger Dena Marie said...

I think I remember that same Channel One episode. If not that one, I have seen that same thing about the rings and the ducks. I am glad that you are doing something to make help out the environment.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I used to cut all the rings of my 6-packs back in Cali without thinking twice about it. Now in Arizona, I don't recycle anything, because there isn't any recycling here. Or anywhere closeby, anyway. I was surprised when either complex I lived at reacted to my "Do you guys have any recycling bins?" with an immediate, "No. We don't recycle and we don't know where any recycling areas are closeby either. Sorry."

II keep all the plastic bags to take back to Safeway or somewhere, though.

9:13 AM  
Blogger African Kelli said...

Oooh, love this Keesha. There are several simple things I do:
1. Use my Nalgene bottle to refill on drinks at any restaurant that will let me. (Fast food, to prevent throwing away another cup.)
2. I try to use cloth napkins instead of throw aways.
3. I take old clothing to Goodwill or recycle it into new clothing with my sewing machine.
4. I recycle everything I can.
5. Use canvas totes for the grocery store.
6. Work from home one day a week
7. Just installing a clothesline for outside.
Bravo for discussing this stuff. And yes, I loved Channel One!

1:01 PM  
Blogger PrissyCook said...

I've done some research, if you have a house in Phoenix, you can request a blue tub and they'll deliver it to your house in about a week, check it out:
Thank you for contacting us with your concern. A service request has been generated to have a blue recycling container dropped off at your home within the next 5 business days. Your day of collection for your blue container will be every Friday.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Jennifer Cook
Solid Waste/Customer Service
Public Works Department
602-262-7251

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home