Saturday, August 5

I'm learning to cook German style

I'm so excited! Remember, I had a plan where I would ask people to choose a region or country and from that I would draw one and cook and learn about that places cuisine. I had a few friends pick countries:
  • Gina chose Japan
  • Karrin chose Germany
  • Annie chose Morocco
  • CJ chose Africa

A few of them scared me, where would I find good authentic recipe's, what if they required exotic spices, what if they didn't have good desserts!!!

The country's cuisine I'll be exploring for August is; Germany! I must admit that I'm really happy that this is the first one. I have a bit of experience with German food, so some of the ingredients and cooking methods won't be too foreign. But it won't be that easy! You see I have one set German menu I've ever cooked.

My dad graduated from a high school in a German town in central Texas, New Braunfels. And they have really great cottage style German restaurants. My favorite there is Oma's Haus. When we have a special occasion, my dad's request is always for us to cook Rouladins, Sour Kraut, Spatzel and German Chocolate Cake! Other than that, I've cooked a braut or two, had some German lager and that's about it.

For the past week, I've been reading about the region and getting grounded in what makes up the culinary influences there. Geographically, Germany is surrounded by regions that have diverse traditions, histories and people. To the west and southwest you have France and Italy, to the east and southeast you have Austria, Hungary, Slovakia and Poland. To the north you have the North and Baltic seas.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the spaetzle and knackwurst. If you've got links to the beautiful Texas hill country, it should be a help!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Gourmetish said...

I'm German so if I can help let me know. Spaetzle is SUPER easy--start with that! And I'm not so sure German Chocolate Cake is actually German--I could be wrong, though. Strudel might be a fun thing to make too that's common. Otherwise the German's love roasts and dumplings. Good luck!

5:12 PM  
Blogger PrissyCook said...

Gasp! German Chocolate Cake isn't German!!! Say it ain't so! LOL. I might just pretend, I was really looking forward to it!

7:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember seeing ready-to-cook spaetzle at the Heidelberg German Bakery on Indian School Road. PLus all the fresh German bread and pretty much German everything else.

It's a good thing this place is like never open - otherwise I'd be in big trouble.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home